Monday, March 2, 2009

Goat Milk

Ya’ll know how I try to stay healthy and combat my persistent acid reflux (aka. heartburn) by eating healthy, right? I’ve been going to the nutritionist (Scott), taking my supplements, etc. Milk, as we know it, isn’t really good for anyone (For starts:
http://beandiet.blogspot.com/search/label/milk). Scott suggests rice milk, almond milk, goat almond milk, various flavorsmilk and raw non-pasteurized cow milk. I prefer the raw cow milk. Unfortunately, it’s about $8 a gallon and doesn’t last long. The rice and almond milk really aren’t bad and fairly inexpensive. Unfortunately, once opened, they don’t last very long either. However, they are great for storage as they are housed in boxes and have long shelf lives. They work great for cereal, baking, cooking, etc. As I am a faithful gymster, I look for things with protein. I miss my yogurt! Finding a yogurt that does not use pasteurized cow milk without sugar is very difficult. Scott suggested that I try yogurt using goat’s milk and/or Greek yogurt. I was at Trader Joe’s and thought I would try the yogurt made with goat.

This morning I tried my cereal with the goat’s milk. Ummm, you know how goats smell? That’s how this stuff tastes. Then I had the yogurt. I had put some blue agave in to sweeten it up as well as some blueberries. All the berries and sugar in the world would not be able to cover up the taste of goat. At this point, I think I’ll stick with my almond and rice milks and try the Greek yogurt.

Moral of the story:
GOAT’S MILK=GROSS!

2 comments:

Ariane said...

Um, I think I would just live with the heartburn than go as far as you have. Oh my heavens. Well, I do have to say that I am alive today because of Goat milk. Maybe that is why I really can't stand drinking any kind of milk. Well, have fun with that.

Melissa's Musings said...

Goat milk is so foul!!! It tastes like barnyard!!! NAST!!! I'd rather eat my own hair than drink goat milk!! yuck!!!