Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Fourth of July!!!

Two hundred thirty three years ago (July 1776) America declared Independence from Great Britain. The Committee of Five, which consisted of John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Robert R. Livingston, and Roger Sherman, signed their names to the Declaration of Independence.

John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail:
“The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more. ”
Please note he did say "second day of July". If you wantt the details, go and Wikipedia it.

I believe the painting below is one of the most powerful having to do with our country. We believe these men were inspired, by God, to sign this document which declared our independence, thereby creating the United States of America.

May we all continue to take pride in our country...despite our current political leaders...and be thankful for the country we live in today. I can't help but get teary eyed each time I hear our national anthem. "...the land of the free and the home of the brave." Indeed we are.


My two favorite patriotic songs are "God Bless the USA" (which also brings on the tears, I know, I'm a baby!) and "America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles.


What are yours? Feel free to leave them in the comments below.


I hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July! I know I did!!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

"I'm proud to be an American" !