Friday, July 24, 2009

Expired: By Date or by Smoke?

I always like going to our local Grocery Outlet. It's always an adventure as one never knows just what they'll find. I've found a variety of items there (i.e. Coleman blowup camping couches, $4.99 DVDs, $1.99 Dreyers ice cream, etc.). I always make that my first stop when food shopping as they may or may not have some of the items I've been needing. The prices are awesome! They have a great frozen foods section as well as a good size produce section. Sometimes some of the produce looks a little sick, but you take the good with the bad, right? This brings me to the issue at hand (allegedly). One does need to check out the expiration date of the foods purchased. I've noticed some items are set to expire anywhere from a month to several months away from the present. Honestly, if I need mayo for a salad for camping during the upcoming summer months, who really cares if it expires just after the summer's end. This is not to say that everything sold there is at the brink of its expiration. Today I purchased cans of Rotel tomatoes, $.69 each!!! That's a STEAL! The expiration is May 2010! HELLO! Works for me.

Anywho, during the past year, I've had to walk through picketers standing in front of the store, trying to shove their fliers in my face. The "activists" claim Grocery Outlet sells some items close to the expiration date. Okay. So. What of it? Today, as I marched through the picket line, I had to pass three people handing out fliers...with cigarettes in their mouths. So let me get this straight - you're concerned that I'm buying nearly expired items because of your concern for my health? You, with the cancer stick hanging from your mouth, are advocating against nearly expired food?

Personally, I'm an advocate of an intelligent consumer. Almost everyone has internet access. Do your own research on your products before going to purchase something. Shoppers of the Grocery Outlet are probably able to make their own judgments as to whether or not they'll buy that jar of mayo that is about to expire in the near future. I just thought it was ironic/contradictory the cause these people are fighting for.

There's my rant for the day. I shall continue to shop at the Grocery Outlet! It's clean, the employees are friendly, and the prices rock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't say where your Grocery Outlet was; however the grocers union has pickets outside of our G.O. in Rancho Cordova, CA. I've looked at the fliers and they're hogwash. The only reason the union is picketing is because during this economy some people have smartened up and do what you do (and me, too) by shopping there and the 99¢ Only store before going to a full priced retail store. So why aren't they picketing Wal-Mart or Target? They sell food, too? Answer: Because those companies have bigger pockets.