Sunday, June 29, 2008

More Paiute #10

We've all been busy with Paiute #10, including Mom, Dad, Grant & Loren. Mark, the painter, starts painting the exterior on Monday. I've been working like crazy to get everything done he asked that I get done so that he can start. Wednesday I was over there until about 7:00, Thursday until 9:00 and Friday I left work at 11:30 because there was still so much needing to be done. Grant met me at the house on Friday with my $50 piece of redwood for the joist up at the top of the roof. Apparently there was a little bit of dry rot in the old one that needed to be repaired. Unfortunately, 2x8s produced today are NOT the same size as they were back in the day. The old was 1 7/8 x 7 1/2, whereas the new ones are typically 1 1/2 x 7 1/4. I had to make some phone calls but found a home building supply place that had what I needed. I had Grant go retrieve the 16ft piece with the truck. As you can see, it has been installed.



Here are pictures of the new siding on the back of both #10 and 12 (that's me!). As you will see, I have mitered the corners of the new window trim this time around.



As long as I was in the mode, I felt like I needed to redo the window trim on my side as well. You can see by what looks like two different colors in the paint where the old trim used to be compared to where the new trim is:


At the same time, I've been trying to get stuff done on the inside as well. Mom and Dad came over last Saturday to help with the kitchen. Here are the little darlings hard at work:




Apparently it was nap time...on the stove!



First I wasn't going to repaint the cabinets. Once the doors came off and the hinges removed, you could see where the hinges had been and that the new hinges were not going to cover those areas. At this point I was concerned that I'd have to repaint everything:

I put a few coats of paint on the cabinets just to see how it would look. Once I washed all of the doors, they looked great...enough!


For additional pictures, go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnryan1978/.

No comments: